Sailing around the Caribbean with 6 port visits along the way.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Philipsburg was founded in 1763 by John Philips, a Scottish captain in the Dutch navy, and soon became a bustling center of international trade. Two historic forts bear witness to Philipsburg's strategic importance in St. Martin's history: Fort Amsterdam and Fort Willem.
The main shopping district, Front Street, is in the heart of the city. Philipsburg has a port that is home to many cruise liners and tall ships.
Charlestown was built in a protected area on the Leeward side of Nevis, situated between Fort Charles and the Fort Black Rocks. Most of the original buildings were destroyed over time by earthquakes, leading to the common practice of building a series of wooden upper floors over a stone ground floor. It has a population of 1500. It is the main centre for government,education,trade and business in Nevis.
The city is the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton. Charlestown has many important buildings such as the Post Office, Treasury Building, Court House,Public Library,Police Station and the Alexandra Hospital. At the northern end of town is the Bath Hotel and Spring House, which were famoushealth resorts during the 19th century. There are also two museums, the Museum of Nevis History and the Nelson Museum. Memorial Square commemorates all Nevisian soldiers who died during World Wars I & II. There is one mall, the Cotton Ginnery Mall which supplies most of Nevis resident's shopping needs.
Cabrits National Park is at the north end of the island, north of Portsmouth on a peninsula. The park protects tropical forest, coral reefs and wetlands. There are hiking trails and an English garrison called Fort Shirley.
Terre de Haut, Iles des Saintes
Deshaies, a town of just 3,500 inhabitants, is filled with charm. It is undoubtedly the quietest village of Guadeloupe. It is situated on a plunging hillside along a small bay, protected by the mountain. The small Creole cottages offer you the colors and the softness of the Caribbean lifestyle.
Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
Falmouth Harbour is the home of the Antigua Yacht Club, the host club for yachts sailing in Antigua Race Week and the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta. It is situated on the south side of Antigua, at the opposite end of the island from St. John's the major cruise ship port on Antigua.
During the race & regatta weeks, Falmouth Harbour is filled with some of the most beautiful classic yachts, and the speediest of racing yachts. The races are held just outside the harbor entrance, ranging up to 8 miles offshore. These races are international events, attracting the best of the big yacht sailors from around the world.
Right next door to Falmouth Harbour is English Harbour, and the famous Nelson's Dockyard, Naval Base for the British Caribbean fleet during the great age of sail, from the late 1700's until it was abandoned in 1889. Nelson's Dockyard has since been restored. You can see the capstans used to warp ships into the sheltered anchorage, the remains of a sail loft, shore batteries for the protection of the ships in harbor, Clarence House built for soon-to-be crowned King William IV when he was captain of H.M.S Pegasus, one of the ships in Horatio Nelson's fleet. Around the harbor you can find Shirley Heights and the colonial observation post for the harbor, now a good vantage point to watch the racing yachts maneuver.
Gustavia, St. Barthelemy (France)
Discovered by Columbus in 1493, and named for his brother Bartolomeo, St. Barths was first settled in 1648 by French colonists from the nearby island of St. Kitts.
This original settlement was not a successful. In 1651 the island was sold to the Knights of Malta.
France repurchased the island in 1878. The free port status remained, and does to this day, along with such Swedish mementos as bits of architecture, a cemetery, a few street signs and, of course, the name of the harbor and capital, Gustavia.
In 1957, American millionaire David Rockefeller bought a property: the notoriety of the island quickly grew and its transformation as an upscale tourist destination was underway.
In 1967, Britain cut loose most of their Caribbean dependencies because they had become a losing proposition.
During the last twenty years the resident population of St. Barths has more than doubled. Fewer natives are leaving, and growing number of outsiders are arriving to make an island home for themselves, especially from Metropolitan France.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten (return)
Return for disembarkation.